Sunday, March 18, 2012

Took Leo to supper at the Trocadero and was very glad when he only wanted to drink beer. This enabled me to have my usual pint of champagne. I am dead without it. But I cannot afford to buy champagne for other people. If, therefore, I invite anybody to a meal--which owing to the impecuniousity of my friends I must always do--either I must behave like a cad or remain dead. I prefer the former. Leo said that to get the best out of a love-affair one should never ask for more passion than the beloved one is competent to provide. It is impossible to convey the amount of erotic dissolusion in Leo's voice as he said this. Wordsworth would have called it dissapointment recollected in tranquillity. Apropos of Gibbon, Macaulay, and Carlyle, Leo defined History as "the way things get about."

-A Shorter Ego I (41), James Agate money love history

No comments:

Post a Comment